10.17.2012

PURPLE: "WERK"

When I was doing the "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" show in June of 2010, I had the pleasure of meeting and working with Kenya Thomas before she was famous. *pats self on the bakk* I remember that day well and it was NOT a good one. But Kenya was incredibly sweet and had a wonderful spirit. And let me tell you, on the day of the show, she WERKED that runway.

Well, we later became facebook friends and eventually she began to get more and more work and I always take a little time to chekk in on her and see what she's been doing...do some photo stalking. Regular facebook stuff. She has so many "looks." I wonder how many people live in there... Anyway, one day she posts this picture and my original comment says "peeeeerfeeect."




A year later, I still feel that way and it's still my favorite pic of her. I liked it so much I decided to try to paint it. This was a new experience, as I've never really done portraits before. Especially not of people who would see it and easily recognize what it was supposed to look like, but what the hell? I gave it a go. Originally, I was going to do it in all blue to kind of mimic the original, but something was telling me purple was the way to go. It started off really well.


Then I put it down. I was nervous about doing the face. A few weeks later, I came bakk to it. Completed it. I was happy with how it came out. Mostly. I showed my friend. She said, "DOPE!" That's a good sign. And I agreed, but there was just something not so right about it. Well, weeks after that, I finally figured out what that was and finished it...for real this time!


I also noticed that between the computer and the phone...you may not be getting the actual colors. The first picture is more accurate. I'll have to do something about that. Anyway, you like?  

1 comment:

Shann said...

I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!