4.04.2011

Big numbers: Day 93, The Confession (Part I)

Howdy! I'm ok. I haven't been writing because I haven't been finishing much or finishing anything that's not a shirt. I posted on Friday that I wouldn't be taking any more Greek orders for an indefinite period of time. I've decided to use this post to tell you why.

Bare naked truth, I don't make enough money to work from home and hate it. If I didn't care about liking how I made my living, I could go in to a job like everybody else. I started painting for my chapter and for my friends and then anyone who wanted to buy. This was a hustle gone right. Never in my life did I expect to STILL be doing this, at all, let alone still doing line shirts. Now don't get me wrong, I LOVE what I do, but I'm bored out of my mind (emphasis on out of my mind). It WAS fun at first. It was NEW for a long time, but it's been a while now and the novelty of it has worn off for me.

Many people have inaccurately described me as a Greek designer. I know that and have ALWAYS known that that is NOT who I am. That particular subset does not fulfill me. It lines my pokkets, which I am grateful for, but I'm past the stage where I still find joy in creating those types of pieces. I find joy in YOUR joy in receiving and liking what I create, but the actual process of creation is painful. It is tedious. It is monotonous. It is...uninspiring. I am suffering.

I like to think that all of us wish to make progress in our careers and businesses, but I don't feel like I'm doing that right now. I have so many ideas and visions inside me that I feel are literally choking beneath piles of...line shirts. lol. I'm not giving my growth the attention it needs or deserves. To be quite honest, it's a tough decision for me. I don't know what will happen if I abandon this in favor of what I feel I should be doing. I'm not sure if many of you appreciate my talent, in a capacity beyond how I can put a spin on your line name, but at this rate, it doesn't matter. I've been pondering this decision for a while, and I feel SO stukk creatively, putting my ideas on the bakk burner in order to make sure that I have (happy) customers. But, if I don't take this much needed and possibly permanent break, I'm not going to be able to accomplish anything.

I hope that you all bear with me as I try to take SYM1 somewhere new. I'm not saying I'll never do another line shirt, but I can definitely (no Melanie) say it will be very limited. I truly appreciate all of you that have been rokkin' with me, line shirts and all, for the past few years and I'm really sorry for those of you that didn't cross before I got to this point. I'm working on piece 131/1000 so if there's something GREEK you want, you have until 140/1000 to get that order in. I'm estimating...I'll be there by Friday. Thanks in advance for your continued support. Now, I'm off to knokk out these shirts, so I can BE GREAT! I need ya'll to trust (with) me on this. lol.

9 comments:

Chantelle said...

Everybody deserves to refocus to suit their own goals and desires. A challenge is always refreshing and welcoming no matter how risky it may be. I believe you'll prosper even without the Greek-only customers. I definitely have a non-greek order I plan on placing this month.

On that note, glad I got my shirt already. *whew* :-)

Ashley said...

does this include baby greek creations? or is that a stupid question? lol

I can't wait to see where this hiatus takes you creatively though. No offense to any greeks but I can kind of understand where you're coming from. There's only so much originality you can put on a greek item and designing non-greek pieces you can take our pieces wherever you'd like creatively.

SYM1 said...

Thanks Chantelle! It's very much appreciated.

@Ashley...look at you making sense and stuff. And no Greek baby items either.

Sankofa said...

I support SYM1, SYM1,000 and 36$5 and whatever else you plan on doing. I know how it is to have your creativity stifled by a label... and although everyone loves their Greek letter org.. there is only so much a designer can take. I love SYM work and I love Zeta and SAI... however what's done is done... and I have plenty more randomness that can be SYMafied... chef coats... knife kits... canvas for my gallery (whenever I move)... SYMlowcases (pillowcases).. i love many other things outside of my orgs and heck SYM does it all so why not get something different... I'm with you all the way... Happy Creating!

Ms. Honeybee said...

I applaud you! As much as I'll miss your greek creations, stay true to your creative desire. I could always tell your talent was more than being able to paint greek letters. :) Don't suffocate the creative brilliance!!!

Calvin said...

Do your thing Sym1. Staying relevant and doing business is about diversification. If it doesn't fulfill your need then it is not worth doing, especially to the point of burnout.

Dezz said...

Sym I've watched you grow as an artist and as an entrepreneur and out of all of our peers, I must say that I respect your hustle the most. As an artist it's important not to let what you love become something you dread doing because of the business side of things. I think you made a good choice. I'm looking forward to seeing where this takes your already incredible artwork! Props and such!

Zach said...

Sis, you deserve ALL of the happiness in the world, and if that means re-focusing your time and energy, then so be it! While I love you and appreciate all you have done for both myself AND the Greek community as a whole as far as nailia goes, if you're not happy, and if you don't have the PASSION, then all we are to you are leeches and parasites!

Go forth and be happy, successful, and prosperous. Your talents will be sung by those of us who WERE fortunate enough to cross before you made this decision :-) If you don't come back to it, hell, I won't be salty -- because as my SiZZZZZter, the LAST thing I would want to see is your creativity and "fire" stifled by the redundancy of what you're currently stuck doing.

Besides, being "stagnant" is NOT becoming of FINER Womanhood!

Much love and success to you, my Sawrawh!

SYM1 said...

THAAAAAANK YOOOOOU! I can't begin to express how much I appreciate you for all the support as I make this transition. Ya'll really know how to make a SYM feel special!