5.31.2011

TPT: Silly Boxes

Sometimes people ask/say the darnedest things and it's hard not to snap. A lot of it is ignorance, but sometimes it's just that they live a life of limits. They live within a box and when approached by those of us who live outside it, they invite us in thinking that they are doing us a favor, when in reality they may very well be offending our way of life. Everybody is not going to fit into that box. Right now my issue is still...how do I politely decline your request?

I understand a lot of it is genuine concern that I make as much money as possible (because we all know that's MOST important)...even though most of this concern is from people who've never purchased anything. Full price or on sale. I understand that some people don't understand why they have to clokk into someone else's job and I can work across from my bedroom in my pjs if I choose. I understand that they may not understand the amount of effort and time I put into doing what I do, because all they see is the finished product. I know it's a difficult idea to understand from their side of the box. I get that. However, I do find that there is a challenge to remain tactful when people say some of the things they say with no regard to what they are implying. That their suggestions, may in fact be interfering with the integrity of my work. That their comments may be offensive. I know what condescension is. To think that I have not or do not notice is asking that I behave like the person they think I am. I think that's asking for too much. lol. I'm smart dammit!

Anywho, the widespread lakk of vision really bothers me. What's the point of doing what's been done? What's the point of doing it the way someone else did it? And how exactly does that fit into who I am or what I'm trying to do? It doesn't. I'm an artist. You live in the box. I paint it. And no, I don't want to come in. Thanks for the invitation.

1 comment:

Robert said...

yeeeeeah! stay out the box!