11.08.2010

New Painting: "Garden Variety Beauty"

I hadn't planned on blogging about this one, but I changed my mind, which is fine. As a XX being, I reserve the right to change my mind as often as is necessary to make any and every decision. It is frequently annoying. Today...not so much.

This painting came very differently for me. I had the intention of trying a realistic portrait for the first time, but that's as far as I got with the planning. I usually do a bakkground and then decide on the foreground. Lastly, I fill in details. I guess the color I choose for the bakkground inspires me as to what should come next. This time, I actually did a sketch. Then foreground. Then bakkground. I had NO IDEA where this painting was going when I began. It's nothing like I had intended it to be when I started or anything like the work I've done before. It was a very organic process. I enjoyed it. I don't think I could not be pleased with the outcome, because I had no preconceived notion of what I thought it should have been to compare it to once I was finished. It is exactly as it should be.

"Garden Variety Beauty" 16x20

Now, after I had completed the majority of the painting, I decided to incorporate some of the design techniques that I do on my shirts. I thought it would be a cool way to transition from one medium to another. I added the "scribble" around the outline of her face. The white portion is completely covered in tiny white dots. It feels like a football. (Does that make for compromise when decorating with the man in mind?) It worked out nice for this piece. I'm very happy with it. I think I'll try it again. 

TEXTURE!

So, what say you readers?

4 comments:

Ashley said...

I like it!! And the close-up photo shows what part you said felt like a football.

Good work Sym!!!

Sankofa said...

chic. cute. and textured. nice work.

Robert said...

lol. that "scribble" looks like arabic.

SYM1 said...

Thanks everybody.

Robbiey, I think the arabic is consuming your brain. You be careful.